- Philippa Carter
- Sandy Timms
- Peter Rance
- Brian Leach
- Liz Leffman
- Jake Acock
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public
- No members of the public
Apologies received from Cllr Ranson, currently on paternity leave
2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
The Minutes recorded from the meeting held on Monday July 2018 were approved as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest to record.
4. Financial Report
|Margaret Johnson||Chq 101127||£56.04||(part of £200 office & virus budget)|
|P Carter||Chq 101128||£303.30||charged to Playing Field Fund for fertilizer|
|RoSPA Playsafety Ltd||Chq 101130||£113.40||Playground Inspection (budgeted £100 + VAT)|
The Financial Regulations were reviewed and it was agreed this would be finalised at the October meeting.
-There was no Payment Voucher (P7) for £262.30 payment to OCC for donation to library. Cheque number 101069. It was recorded correctly in all other areas.
-VAT claim dated 9thMay 2017 of £3474.30 was recorded in Minutes as £3474.40.
-£270 payment to ROSPA cheque number 101063 was not recorded in the Minutes.
-Cheque number 101092 was recorded in the Minutes of 11th December 2017 as 101093. £32 for printing Carol Service leaflets
-Cheque number 101105 was recorded in Minutes of 12th February as 101015.
Nothing to report, awaiting the report from Moore Stephens.
Cllr Carter reviewed past expenditure, costs and savings and asked P Councillors to consider any expenditure which they may propose for the next budget. She asked the Clerk to carry this forward to the October meeting for further discussion.
RFO Stuart Fox reported that the PC had budgeted £1,000 for digging drainage grips in this financial year, but these have now been done at no cost to the Parish, so these funds could be reallocated.
Cllr Carter proposed £650 (50%) towards repairing/replacing the shared Pound/ Church wall, which was bowing and dangerous. The proposal was seconded by Cllr Rance. Cllr Carter agreed to contact the Rev’d Mark Abrey.
Cllr Carter spoke about the ongoing cleaning and maintenance of the Martyrs Bench, which are the responsibility of the Parish Council. This was discussed and Cllr Timms proposed that regular cleaning once a week should be a paid job. Cllr Rance seconded the proposal and it was agreed unanimously. The Clerk was asked to carry this forward to the October meeting.
5. Reports from County and District Councillors
County Cllr Liz Leffman
CCllr Leffman reported on the roads and that a recent survey showed that 69% of people were angry at the state of the roads. She reported that the County Council had forecast £120m to resurface the roads. CClr Leffman reported that both parish councils and town councils should have a say about which roads are a priority. PCllrs reported the ongoing state of the dip caused by badgers in the Leafield Road to CCllr Lefman, who agreed to carry out a site visit herself and discuss with OCC Highways. She reported that Cherwell and West Oxfordshire would be joining services. CCllr Leffman reported on the interface between the County Council and the public. She reported that the overview of the recycling was ongoing.
District Cllr Jake Acock
DCllr Acock reported on the Local Plan and his frustrations with the lack of infrastructure being offered. He reported that he had been made aware that there was an ongoing drugs problem within the village. This was being monitored and that education via a “Drugs Bus” would be a positive way of combatting this issue.
6. Public Time
There were no members of public and so no public time recorded.
18/02112/HHD PROPOSAL: Fernhill Farm Erection of new detached garage block (Shipton under Wychwood) – passed from Shipton PC for information.
18/01931/HHD PROPOSAL: Erection of garden shed. (Retrospective).
3 The Green Ascott Under Wychwood Chipping Norton APPLICANT: Mrs Janet Badger REGISTERED: 27th June 2018 – Approved
Appeal Ref: APP/D3125/W/17/3179654 12-18 London Lane, Development of 5 dwellings – Allowed 15 December 2017: (Original Application Ref 17/01067/FUL, dated 30 March 2017 -Refused by notice dated 10 July 2017) Keep listed for reference.
Cow Shed development
To monitor and review – no application received as at 10 September 2018.
8. Matters Arising
(a) Wychwoods Working Together;
Emergency Plan – confirmation from MUW PC that Ascott PC is referenced in their Emergency Plan for support if needed
Confirmation sent to SUW PC for Ascott PC to be included in the marking of the Death of a Senior National Figure through sharing a book of condolences with all 3 Wychwood villages.
(b) OCC Grasscutting contract – Ongoing
(c) Sign at the Ascott Earl Sheepwash – Matthew Davies has volunteered to repair perspex – Ongoing
(d) Footpaths – definitive footpath map to be obtained. Volunteers would be walking and mapping to ascertain what paths are not listed.
(e) Defibrillator – Cllr Timms proposed that the unused monies budgeted for grips should be used to purchase a second defibrillator. This was seconded by Cllr Leach. Cllr Timms agreed to order this and organise the installation.
(f) GDPR – Cllr Carter reported that the PC’s Privacy Notice was now displayed on the Website. She also reported that the PC area on the Ascott Community Website was evolving.
(g) Christmas Tree sheath & electricity on the Green – Cllr Carter will be meeting with Bannor Electrical for advice.
(h) Heritage Lane – RFO Stuart Fox reported that he had been approached by a parishioner about the overhanging hedgerows, the lack of a dog bin and a blocked drain. Cllr Rance proposed the purchase of an additional dog bin, this was seconded by Cllr Timms. Cllr Leach agreed to take a look at the state of the overgrowth with a view to cutting this back. Cllr Carter will investigate the blocked drain
(i) Allotments – Cllr Leach reported on some re-arranging of the plots, one tenant had given notice and a current tenant had swapped and that there was a new tenant, hopefully tenants.
9. Risk Assessment & Ground Maintenance:
RoSpa Report – Cllr Carter presented the report and stated that she will contact Shane Barnes and the original contractor to action the recommended improvements. In the long term Cllr Carter hopes to find someone living in the village who can inspect the equipment regularly and deal with smaller repair jobs as and when.
Playing Field Hedge – The Clerk was asked to contact Newmans to have the annual hedge cutting done this autumn.
Dawls Close/Shipton Road Litter Bin – The Clerk was asked to order a new bin
Pavilion – Cllr Carter to organise repair to pavilion outdoor light, utility cupboards and lagging to boiler outlet pipe.
Tree Survey – Cllr Carter to organise 4-yearly survey
Notice Boards – Cllr Carter/Mat Davies to investigate better materials for renovation
10. Community Emergency Plan
Cllr Carter reported that the emergency road signs for the level crossing are being stored conveniently nearby and that she will discuss with Robin Walker the most convenient location for storing the signs for the top of Chipping Norton Road. The Emergency Team will be informed of the details.
Since the last report in early July, the single weekday “halts” service has only been infrequently affected. One morning service was cancelled without explanation and an evening return cancelled lacking a driver. These issues have been shared with CLPG to raise them with GWR Operating staff at a recent meeting. GWR continue to suffer from insufficient new trains and trained drivers. A contract has been awarded for extension of station platforms (excluding halts!) on Cotswold line, to accommodate the longer new trains, to be completed by Dec 2018. HMG has vetoed a radical new timetable from Jan 2019, given the chaos of 2018 introductions elsewhere on the rail network! We await the full detail of HMG decisions from their public consultation on GWR franchise inc services on our line. There is no immediate prospect of any additions to our minimal Halts service!
The WOCT 210 service shows gradually increasing usage, but slower than desired. A user survey highlighted desire for a later final service from Witney and a Saturday offering. The former cannot yet be provided because of logistical issues centred on the current lack of an overnight dedicated bus depot, which is being pursued. The latter, can only occur if they gain more volunteer drivers, hence they would welcome new volunteers to contact them
Following a joint on site review at the River Bridge, of Cllr Leffman, James Wright OCC Highways Dept and Cllr Rance, to experience the dangerous vehicle movements there, OCC has ordered revised signage and placement, to emphasise the warning of these dangers. To further enhance the traffic controls there, would however need Ascott PC funding an OCC Consultation, and if that consultation proved positive, further PC funding to implement them. The cost of the consultation would be £800, a set fee, payable to OCC as confirmed by James Wright. Cllr Rance believes that PC should resolve upon that process soonest. The need for a Priority System at the Chipping Norton Bridge was proposed by Cllr Rance, at a cost of £800 and this was seconded by Cllr Carter and agreed unanimously. Cllr Rance to coordinate the progress of this.
13. Reports from Organisations
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club – Cllr Carter reported that 2 teams had now started and that junior coaching had started on Sunday mornings.
(b) Wychwood Library – Ongoing nothing to report
(c) Helpers of Ascott-under-Wychwood – Ongoing nothing to report
OCC Oxfordshire Stakeholders Highways briefing
Mark Hopwood GWR – reminder of Oxford Rail upgrade work
WODC – Water Day – Cllr Carter to attend
WODC – Local Plan 2031
Playsafety Ltd – RoSPA Report
AMET – Martyrs Seats
Heritage Lane – please refer to Matters Arising
16. Any Other Business
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.30pm and confirmed the next meeting will be held on Monday 8 October 2018.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 8 October 2018