- Philippa Carter
- Sandy Timms
- Peter Rance
- Graham Ranson
- Liz Leffman
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public
- No members of the public
Apologies received from Cllr Mark Tribe and DCllr Tom Simcox
2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
The Minutes recorded from the meeting held on Monday 12 March 2018 were approved as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest to record.
4. Financial Report
Allotment rents £128 (All now paid, Annie Holden confirms that she will not renew)
101113 A Barnes £616.35 Net Salary
101114 A Barnes £121.97 Expenses
101115 HMRC £154.00 P.A.Y.E.
101116 WODC £ 265.32 Waste and Dog Bins
101117 P Edwards £1977.60 New Mower
Year End Accounts
Stuart Fox, Responsible Financial Officer (RFO), presented the accounts for the year to 31 March 2018 to the meeting. These were discussed, agreed and duly signed. The Clerk was asked to file the signed copy in the Minute Book.
The Financial Regulations were discussed and reviewed and agreed.
General Data Protection Recording
Stuart Fox RFO reported on this new legislation and the implications were discussed. He reported that the Parish Council would need to appoint a Data Processing Officer, this could not be the Parish Clerk. Stuart reported that he would contact Keith Butler, the Monitoring Officer at WODC and report back. Cllr Carter will arrange for permission to be sought from all those on PC volunteer lists.
5. Reports from County and District Councillors
County Cllr Liz Leffman
CCllr Liz Leffman reported on a debate held 2 weeks ago with regards to the duelling of the Cotswold line, following MP Robert Courts debate in Parliament. She reported on a meeting with Charlbury Town Council and Great Western Railway (GWR) CCllr Leffman reported that recycling rates were down in West Oxfordshire mostly due to the fact that fly-away plastic is no longer being collected.
Cllr Leffman also reported that each County Councillor has a grant at their disposal and they can choose which projects they can support in their area. Last year C Cllr Leffman used the grant to support the WOCT Bus. The grant can be used for 1 large project or several smaller ones.
District Cllr Tom Simcox
6. Parish Council Elections
The election process was discussed and the Clerk explained and reiterated the importance of key dates. The following dates were agreed:
Monday 9 April Parish Council ordinary meeting
Monday 30 April Annual Parish Meeting, to be held at the Sports Pavilion
Monday 21 May Annual General Meeting (Election of new officers) followed by ordinary meeting.
7. Public Time
There was no public time recorded.
Oxfordshire County Council
LL.0088/17 Local List of Information Requirements for validation for planning and related applications
18/00350/HHD Reduce the depth of existing first floor balcony (part retrospective) at Chaundy Barn, 45 High Street, Ascott-und-Wychwood – Approved
17/04060/FUL Demolition of existing structures and erection of new buildings to accommodate an education facility, microprocessing space and farm machinery, two new family dwellings, new access and parking at Honeydale Farm, Station Road, Shipton-under-Wychwood – PC’s no objections submitted. – Ongoing
Appeal Ref: APP/D3125/W/17/3179654 – Allowed 15 December 2017: London Lane, Ascott-under-Wychwood, OX7 6AN Application Ref 17/01067/FUL, dated 30 March 2017, was refused by notice dated 10 July 2017. Development proposed on the application form is the “Construction of 5 dwellings”. – Site with planning permission being marketed by Green & Co
9. Matters Arising
(a) Wychwoods Working Together – the Clerk was asked to write to both Shipton and Milton and invite them to a Joint Wychwoods’ Meeting to be held at Ascott-u-W.
(b) OCC Grasscutting contract – Negotiations of the OCC Grass Cutting Contract for the village verges within the 30mph area (urban verges) are still ongoing to secure the OCC grant for 2018. The grant for 2017 has been received
(c) Sign at the Ascott Earl Sheepwash – Pete Moss has visited the site with Cllr Carter and will undertake this job.
(d) Footpaths – Cllr Carter reported that she had taken advice about the registration of footpaths from the Cotswold Warden who represents this area. She plans to set up a working party (possible sub-committee) made up of residents who are particularly familiar with all the local footpaths and their history.
(e) Martyrs Seats – AMET have decided to postpone the consultation about making any changes to the Martyrs Seats
(f) Defibrillator – Cllr Timms reported on the long and complicated process of getting the defibrillator back to working order and on the ambulance register again. There was a discussion about obtaining a second defibrillator so that there would always be at least one working in the village at any given time. The Parish Clerk offered to contact CN Lions who sometimes give grants for defibrillators.
10. Risk Assessment & Ground Maintenance
A date needs to be set for the next inspection, to be carried out. Cllrs Carter, Ranson and Leach will take this turn.
(a) Winter Shed / store – Ongoing
(b) 5 Shilling Corner – Cllr Cater will organise the replacement posts for the fencing at 5 Shilling Corner. The delay has been because her first choice volunteer has been injured.
(c) Notice Boards – Ongoing
(d) Pavilion – Ongoing
(e) Church Wall – The Rector is organising permissions from the Diocese regarding the repair of the bulging stone wall between the Pound and the Churchyard. Cllr Rance has been in discussion with him and Brian Mitchell and the Wychwood Project is on standby to undertake the work. The stone has been arranged and the Rector is hopeful that there will be no cost to the PC. Timing to be confirmed.
Outstanding work to be undertaken within 3 months – Dismantle and dispose of derelict sheds at allotments, remove ivy from gate pillars at Playing Field and repair of notice boards. Also look into the responsibility of trimming the hedge on the allotment northern perimeter.
11. Community Emergency Plan
Nothing to report
The new 210 service is proving popular and has increasing passenger numbers. WOCT have received approval for minor changes in times at certain stops to reflect operating experience. These will be advised by drivers on the buses and posted notices and on bus stop timetables. The changes will also be notified in the next Grapevine.
A quite dreadful Easter weekend of many cancellations on the Cotswold Line due to lack of drivers, brought yet further widespread criticism of GWR’s forward planning. Subsequently, the “Halts service” serving Ascott etc has proved more reliable, both out and return, than its unacceptably unreliable performance up to Easter. The key remaining dependency however, is having sufficient numbers of drivers trained on the new diesel-electric sets and GWR are in no doubt about how important the “Halts service” is, and the urgent need to recover their service reputation.
Our MP, Robert Courts gained a debate in Parliament, to address Cotswold Line train service issues, not least advocating re-doubling of the line, or at least key parts, such as Oxford to Handborough. His speech and the debate is recorded in Hansard, and overall he received warm support from MPs of all parties for gaining the debate, and his contribution. What HMG will do in the manner of additional investment, and its timing, however, will require our patience!
Ongoing issues – nothing further to report
14. Reports from Organisations
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club – Cllr Carter reported that all the papers in respect of Sport England had now been received from Laurence Mellor. Cllr Carter, Shane Barnes and Simon Gidman met to plan the maintenance of the pitch in accordance to recommendations from the contractors and consultants.
(b) Library – Nothing to report
(c) Helpers – Thank you to Rob Lane and Nick who did some specialist cutting back of trees, shrubs and ivy in the playing field.
MP Robert Courts monthly update
OALC March Newsletter
OALC New edition of Governance and Accountability + GDPR
16. Any Other Business
A complaint received about the broken sign at the bottom of Dawls Close
Numerous complaints have been received about bonfires. It was suggested that a leaflet could be delivered to every household explaining what was legal and illegal and how to complain effectively.
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 9.30pm and confirmed the next meeting will be the Annual Parish Meeting, which will be held on Monday 30 April 2018. Cllr Carter confirmed that the next Parish Council meeting will be the Annual General Meeting (election of officers) and will be held on Monday 21 May 2018.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 21 May 2018