- Philippa Carter
- Sandy Timms
- Mark Tribe
- Peter Rance
- Graham Ranson
- Stuart Fox, Responsible Financial Officer
Members of the Public:
- No members of the public
Apologies received from PC Clerk Angela Barnes due to adverse weather conditions and CCllr Liz Leffman. The December minutes were noted and compiled jointly by Parish Councillors.
2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
The Minutes recorded from the November meeting were approved as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest.
4. Financial Report
There was no income to record.
£32.00 Chq No 101093 to A Barnes for Printing of Carols leaflets
£137.71 Chq No 101093 to P Carter for Mulled Wine for Carols Round the Xmas Tree and for materials to renovate Picnic Bench
P Councillors studied carefully the budgets presented by Financial Officer Stuart Fox for the financial years 17/18 and 18/19. There was thorough discussion about the past 3 years of OCC budget cuts for which the PC had raised the village precept. PCllrs felt that the Parish reserves should now be sufficient to cope with potential unforeseen expenditure. Therefore, Cllr Timms proposed a 10% reduction in the Precept 18/19 – this was seconded by Cllr Rance and carried unanimously.
1. Defibrillator – Cllr Carter reported that the pub had not arranged for electricity to be connected to the Defibrillator box despite several reminders. Cllrs Carter and Tribe will look at possible other sites (directly from telegraph pole near Pound or Shop?) and there will be a cost for re-connection. In the meantime Cllr Carter will notify the ambulance service that the Ascott-u-Wychwood defibrillator is not active. The nearest would then be Shipton-u-Wychwood.
2. The Pavilion water bill increased by £400 because of the watering to the pitch during July which was necessary to keep the new grass alive. It was agreed that 50% would be paid through the Playing Field sinking fund and 50% through the Sports Club.
Upcoming Expenditure cont’d
3. Pavilion Kitchen – 2 separate quotes had been received from Mike Townsend for renewing the tiling in the Pavilion Kitchen – £430 inc- and re-decorating – £456 inc. Cllr Timms proposed that the Parish Council should accept both quotes and this was seconded by Cllr Rance.
4. Playing Field Mower – the mower attachment had broken at the end of the summer and Cllr Carter presented the replacement options at the last meeting. Cllr Ranson proposed that the PC accept Shane Barnes’ recommendation for a Fleming 6ft Finishing Mower at a cost of £1,450 ex VAT with mulching kit at £198 ex VAT supplied by Patrick Edwards.
5. Villager Bus Cllr Rance had researched the value of the PC financial support to this service (see Item 11) and proposed that the PC agreed to donate £600 for another year. There was discussion about the possibility that the Villager would be in direct competition with the proposed new commercial service reported on by CCllr Leffman below (Item 5). It was agreed that the proposed service could take some time to begin operating and so Cllr Carter seconded Cllr Rance’s proposal and the motion was carried unanimously.
5. Reports from County and District Councillors
CCllr Liz Leffman sent her apologies and the following report – ‘The main news from the County Council perspective is that, at the last Locality Group meeting, councillors agreed to give £8,300 towards the proposed Wychwoods bus. This on its own will not pay for the new bus, but the Witney Locality Group is meeting shortly, and I know that several of the councillors in that group are very keen to support it. So I am reasonably confident that West Oxfordshire Community Transport will receive enough funding for the bus to be purchased, but we won’t know for certain how much has been allocated till the end of this month. I will make sure that Parish Councillors are kept informed.’
6. Public Time
There was no public.
Cllr Carter reported that the contractors at Maple Way had removed most of the established hedge which is against the conditions of planning consent. A resident had reported this to the planning officer, Abby Fettes. Cllr Carter to follow this up.
8. Matters Arising
(a) County, District & Parish joint surgery –Attended by DCllr Simcox and P Cllr Ranson but no public.
(b) Wychwoods Working Together – Cllr Carter has now completed Ascott’s Emergency Plan and will send it to both Milton and Shipton parish councils.
(c) CC Grasscutting contract – Ongoing – Cllr Carter to liaise with C Cllr Leffman
(d) Hedgecutting – this has had to be postponed twice due to weather conditions. Clerk to chase.
(e) Sign at the Ascott Earl Sheepwash – Cllr Ranson to arrange repair of Perspex.
9. Risk Assessment & Ground Maintenance
Cllr Carter had met TreeTech Tree surgeons to inspect the trees behind the pavilion which are of concern to residents. The scope of the work and access was agreed with residents and TreeTech will send a quote, with work expected to take place in the New Year.
10. Community Emergency Plan
1. Cllr Carter has written an Emergency Plan leaflet and a request leaflet for Emergency Volunteers. These will be delivered to all households at the same time as the notice about Carols on the Green.
2. Cllr Carter has met Chris Badger and Robin Walker to discuss all details regarding the Winter Resilience work on the roads. She also met Laurence Mellor to receive all papers and instructions regarding the Winter Resilience work on the pavements. Laurence Mellor agreed to remain in charge until a replacement is found. Michael Tucker has agreed to replace Laurence Mellor from 1 January 2017.
3. Cllr Carter attended the AGM of the Evenlode Catchment Partnership – a partnership of many organisations dedicated to improving the environment in and around the River Evenlode. Their work also considers flood risk management and Cllr Carter is interested in the possibility of their work either side of Chilson bridge being replicated either side of Gypsy Lane bridge for the sake of flood risk mitigation to Ascott-u-W properties. If this is possible there would be no cost to the Parish Council funds.
The volunteer Villager Bus Services are continuing to provide the only and therefore vital service both to Ascott parishoners and the wider Wychwood community. On the infrequent occasions when demand exceeds capacity, drivers have authority to ensure some form of transport is given. Indeed Villager are trawling grant bodies to acquire an additional bus. Overall, Villager fully appreciate, and would therefore seek to receive our Ascott PC annually reviewed grant support from our Precept.
GWR franchise through Network Rail have arranged to provide a train from Ascott to Oxford and beyond on Saturdays 2nd, 9th and 16th December and two return trains from Oxford, mid-day and late afternoon. On the 2nd no less than 16 villagers entrained and on 9th only 5. However, without doubt the services so far, have been greatly appreciated and further indicate that even a modest provision, if set permanently in the timetables, would be a success. We wait details of the new timetable from 6th January, which will have the first scheduled use of the new IEP (diesel & electric) trains in action. Some may have seen driver training tests of these on our line.
(a) Cllr Carter will write to CCllr Leffman about the outstanding issues which had been discussed with her before.
(b) Cllr Carter to report that the gulley at the bottom of Melplash Farm needs clearing as water is pooling badly on the road at Ascott Earl Z bend.
(c) Cllr Ranson to re-report the potholes at the top of London Lane which have white lines painted around them.
13. Reports from Organisations
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club
Cllr Carter still searching for a Sports Club Chairman.
(b) Wychwood Library
Nothing to report.
(c) Helpers of Ascott-under-Wychwood
Nothing to report
14. Carols on the Green
1. P Cllrs agreed on the remaining duties on the Checklist.
2. Cllr Carter reported that Elaine Byles had agreed that they would play their brass instruments again.
3. Cllr Ranson will try to mend the Christmas tree lights and will meet Cllr Carter to help erect the stable/crib and straighten the Tree.
4. Cllr Carter had discussed Chris George’s e-mail with Kate Gidman (manager of the Day Centre) and Stuart Fox (chief fundraiser for the Church bells). P Cllrs agreed that the proceeds of the collection should be split 50/50 with the Wychwood Day Centre and Lawrence Home Nursing Team. Cllr Carter will announce this at the event.
Letter received from Village Foundations – “delivering appropriate new housing that fits the needs of Ascott-under-Wychwood. Clerk to deliver original letter when weather permits and has invited them to attend the January meeting.
16. Any Other Business
It was agreed to set the date for the January litter pick by e-mail.
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 9.45pm and confirmed the next meeting will be on Monday January 8th.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 8th January 2018