- Philippa Carter
- Mark Tribe
- Peter Rance
- Tom Simcox
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public:
- Laurence Mellor (Sport England Drainage)
1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN:
Cllr Rance proposed Cllr Carter be re-elected as Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Tribe. Cllr Carter proposed Cllr Timms be re-elected as Vice Chairman, this was seconded by Cllr Tribe.
CCllr Rodney Rose, Cllr Sandy Timms.
3. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
The recorded Minutes from the Meeting held on 11 April 2016 were agreed, duly signed by the Chairman in the absence of the Vice Chairman, dated and filed.
4. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
There were no declarations of interest.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
The Financial report was agreed by all as a true record, albeit Cllr Carter asked if all transactions recorded in the individual funds were necessary. Cllr Carter agreed to check this with Stuart Fox (Responsible Financial Officer).
Total Balance £54083.73
WODC Precept £15,500
P Plant Allotment Rent £20
A Holden Allotment £15
HMRC VAT refund 2015/16 £1010.88
Zurich Insurance £1592.42
Smith & Son Stone £741.60
OCC Library Costs £262.30
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT:
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT:
DCllr Cox reported on the local elections, which were imminent. He reported that he had received the letter from the Parish Council supporting the request for 100% discretionary relief on the council tax charged to the Village shop and confirmed that he was still working on this.
9. PUBLIC TIME:
Please refer to Item 16 Sport England Drainage.
10. MATTERS ARISING:
a) Wychwoods Working Together – Cllr Carter will contact Shipton PC to discuss their plans for maintaining rural verges.
b) County, District and Parish Council Surgery – D Cllr Simcox was unable to attend and there were no members of the public. Cllr Carter discussed with C Cllr Rose A-u-W issues which are affected by the OCC budget cuts – namely roads, verges, drainage, pavements, Wychwood Day Centre, buses. OCC cannot as yet pass on responsibility for tarmacking roads and pavements for legal, insurance and quality control reasons. They are looking to purchase a new machine called the ‘Dragon’ which is expected to reduce the cost of road repairs drastically.
c) Church Lime Tree Project – no news yet from the Rev Abrey about quotations on the paths through the churchyard.
d) Oxfordshire Together – OCC want to devolve the responsibility for verge grass cutting to Parish Councils. They state that, if PCs do not take on this responsibility, then OCC will do the bare minimum which could mean only cutting the ‘splays’ (just a few metres) around main junctions. OCC plan to devolve all verge grass cutting within the Parish boundary – inside and outside the 30mph limit (termed urban and rural verges). We questions the ability of a small Parish like A-u-W to take on the responsibility for verges on the A361 and the Charlbury Road so discussions are ongoing.
e) The Pound – the Wychwood Project expert volunteers are leading a team to rebuild the derelict stone wall in the Pound. Volunteers from the village are assisting and learning. The old wall and vegetation has been cleared and work has started on the foundation of the new wall. The owners of 1 Shipton Rd and the PC have made equal donations to the cost of the stone and the Charity will consider our grant application for the same amount. The Cotswold Wardens will fund the balance.
f) Grass Cutting Contract – Ongoing
g) Verges damaged by heavy vehicles – C Cllr Rose has been made fully aware of the scale of the problem and we are discussing practical, safe and cost effective ways of deterring large vehicles from mounting the verges. OCC are aware that more and more large vehicles are cutting through the rural villages and they have launched a free online mapping tool to help companies plan their routes through the county.
11. BT TELEPHONE BOX:
(Shipton Road) – WODC has given planning permission to BT to remove the telephone box. BT will complete the works over the next 12 months Ongoing
12. PRIORY LANE:
With permission and guidance from OCC Highways, contractors working at 1 Priory Lane installed a pipe system to channel water draining from higher up the Lane directly into a new chamber connected to the road drainage. Unfortunately, the work coincided with an extremely wet period and Priory Lane became a quagmire. Complaints were made to the PC and OCC Highways. The contractors have improved the situation and the drain is working well. After a series of meetings with neighbours, owners, the PC and OCC it was agreed that nothing more was currently needed but the situation will be monitored. The OCC engineer agreed to make good one or two issues which they are responsible for while other work is taking place in that area later this year.
16/01103/HHD Fernhill Farmhouse, Shipton Road, Ascott-under-Wychwood
16/00882/HHD 9 The Green Ascott-under-Wychwood
16/00608/HHD Willowbrook 51 High Street Ascott-under-Wychwood
14. RISK ASSESSMENT:
Shane Barnes has made good progress tidying up the common areas at the allotments.
15. MEMORIAL PLAYING FIELD & RECREATION GROUND:
(a) Replacement Sign – ongoing
(b) Trellis – ongoing
(c) Handrail – ongoing
(d) Newmans reported that the ground has been too wet to be able to cut the hedge and Priory Lane too boggy. It is now too late in the season. Mike Pearce has suggested that in future the PC change the timing to an autumn cut. The clerk was asked to contact Newmans in early October for a cut in November.
16. SPORT ENGLAND DRAINAGE:
We are very close to raising the required total for the Value Engineered Scheme. We are awaiting the Charity decision on our grant application. We have also secured a grant for the optional drainage lines in the cricket wicket which will stop the pavilion patio from flooding. Fundraising is still ongoing which might enable us to complete other optional works.
We have held a range of meetings to plan funding for the future annual maintenance programme, including one with the grounds expert of the Football Foundation. WVS School and Ascott Football Club have pledged their support and will increase their fees to be able to contribute not only to the upkeep of the pavilion but also £2,000 to the annual maintenance bill. The Football Foundation is part-funded by the FA, Sport England and the Government specifically to encourage grass roots football amongst young men and women so that they continue to keep fit. They have stated in writing that they are impressed by Ascott FC and would like to back them 100%.
Laurence Mellor and Cllr Carter recommended to the Parish Council that the Sport England Drainage Scheme go ahead. A vote was taken; Cllr Carter proposed that the drainage scheme should now commence, this was seconded by Cllr Tribe and agreed unanimously. Cllr Timms had asked the Clerk to report that, in her absence, it was minuted that she approved and the PC had her support and vote.
The main works will start at the beginning of July but the attenuator may be installed earlier. We will keep the community informed about pitch and playground closures. Neighbours will be notified.
(a) London Lane – to be monitored
(b) Potholes and Pavement outside Ascott Earl House – refer to items b) and g) under Matters Arising.
(c) Grips – OCC Drainage Engineer has stated that they will re-cut the grips on London Lane and Chipping Norton Hill this year. From then on it will be the responsibility of the Parish to maintain them.
18. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SPORTS CLUB:
Cllr Carter reported that the football team is now officially re-named Ascott United. They have been promoted to Division 2 and won the Supplementary Cup. Laurence Mellor reported that he would be sourcing a display cabinet for the Cup (s) to be shown.
19. COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN:
Nothing to report.
20. HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD:
Work is continuing on planting at the bank opposite the Signal Box. Many plants have been donated recently. A gate and a leaf mould storage area are being planned now that funds have been donated by Network Rail.
C Cllr Rose reported at the Joint Councillors meeting that the Villager company has not yet contacted all parishes along their routes to discuss possible changes aimed at making the routes more viable in the future. Ascott-u-W will continue to take part in discussions through C Cllr Rose and the Oxfordshire Together scheme. Pulhams have yet to engage in discussions.
On 24th April, Alan Field, GWR Franchise Station Manager Cotswold Line, announced in an e mail to the CLPG Chairman that he will be resigning from GWR as of the end of July. He explained that after much deliberation he was doing so because to his regret, he didn’t think that his aspirations for improving services would be realised anytime soon. This could well explain the complete lack of GWR offering any service improvements for Ascott etc, despite Alan’s and CLPG championing. Cllr Rance aims to attend the CLPG AGM on Saturday 14th May, where he may hear more.
22. WYCHWOOD LIBRARY:
Nothing to report.
23. VILLAGE CHARITY:
Nothing to report.
Clerks & Councils Direct
25. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
There have been complaints about a motorbike seriously exceeding the speed limit through the village and turning up Dawls Close.
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.00pm and confirmed the next meeting would be the held on Monday 13 June 2016.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)