The Council provides free and open access to outdoor recreational facilities at the Memorial Playing Field, High Street, Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxon OX7 6AW. It is responsible for maintaining these facilities to a safe standard for use by local village residents as well as the wider community. The Council is committed to ensuring that the Memorial Playing Field is a safe and healthy environment for recreation and sport.
This policy sets out the Council’s standards and procedures aimed at protecting children who use the above facilities from risk of danger and abuse, whether verbal or physical. A child is defined as any young person under the age of 18 years.
RISK FROM DAMAGED OR FAULTY EQUIPMENT OR SURFACES
The Council should at all times maintain safe equipment and play surfaces by :-
- Conducting regular safety checks
- Encouraging users to immediately report any damaged or faulty equipment/surfaces
- (contact details at end of policy)
- Carrying out necessary maintenance and repairs immediately
- Closing the facility or piece of equipment if immediate repairs are not possible and the risk is deemed too great
- Closing the facility or piece of equipment when maintenance or repairs are being carried out
- Arranging an annual RoSpa (or equivalent organisation) inspection
- Responding to necessary actions set out in the above inspection
RISK FROM PHYSICAL OR VERBAL ABUSE
VIOLENT BEHAVIOUR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED ANY ANY TIME, WHETHER PHYSICAL OR VERBAL
The Council aims to ensure a safe and healthy environment by:-
- Siting equipment in clear view of neighbours and passers-by whenever possible
- Including multiple entry and exit points whenever possible
- Encouraging anyone who observes violent behaviour in the Playing Field to report the incident as soon as possible (contact details at end of policy)
- Encouraging anyone observing individuals behaving in an inappropriate manner in the Playing Field to report their concerns as soon as possible (contact details at end of policy)
- Treating all reports as confidential
- Respecting the wishes of the abused child(ren) unless it is deemed harmful to do so
- Investigating all reports so that reasonable actions should be taken
- Reporting suspected illegal behaviour to the police
- The welfare of the child(ren) at risk should always be the first priority
- The Council must ensure that all premises and equipment are safe
- Users and hirers must be instructed in the use of complex equipment
- Any adult leaders or instructors working with children in the Memorial Playing Field must have a valid ‘DBS’ check
Ascott-under-Wychwood Parish Council should ensure that all councillors and volunteers working for the Council read, accept and co-operate with the above Child Protection Policy.
This Policy should be reviewed at least annually and contact details kept up to date at all times. Current contact details of the responsible person(s) will be posted in the Memorial Playing field – at the playground and at the MUGA.
This Policy should be displayed on the Ascott-under-Wychwood Village website where it should include current contact details of the responsible person(s).
R A Morgan (Parish Council Chairman)
L Mellor (Councillor)
P Carter (Councillor)