- Rob Morgan (Chairman)
- Bridgette Crundwell (Vice)
- Philippa Carter
- Pauline Marshall
Members of the public:
- Nigel and Anne Braithwaite
- Angela Barnes
CCllr Rodney Rose, DCllr Hilary Hibbert-Biles and Cllr Laurence Mellor
2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 9 January 2012 were agreed and duly signed, dated and filed.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
4. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT:
5. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT:
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
- £2640.00 Ross Farm Machinery (Gritter)
- £2000.00 Carter Jonas re Network Rail (station enhancement fund)
- £3133.53 General fund
- £2000.00 Railway station enhancement fund
- £5133.53 Balance
7. PUBLIC TIME:
Cllr Morgan welcomed Nigel and Anne Braithwaite and invited them to address the meeting. Nigel advised the meeting that he had come to speak about the Swan Public House and advised that the application had been deferred now until March. He strongly urged the PC to form a sub-committee and to include some of the expertise being offered from parishioners. Cllr Morgan thanked Nigel and Anne for coming to the meeting and agreed that this would be discussed further and considered.
- 12/0187/P/FP Construction of replacement dwelling with associated landscaping and alterations to existing access at 25A London Lane
Cllr Morgan took the plans and agreed to circulate to all councillors for their comments.
Deferred (to March)
- 11/1870/P/OP Removal of existing outbuilding and erection of new dwelling at The Swan 4 Shipton Road Ascott-under-Wychwood
- 11/1871/P/FP Erection of two storey extension and conversion of loft to include insertion of dormer window in front elevation at 44 Shipton Road Ascott-under-Wychwood.
9. HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD:
Station Enhancement –
Meeting with David Northey, Network Rail and Teresa Ceesay, Station Manager, First Great Western
- £2,000 received from Network Rail. Letter of thanks required from PC. Stuart asked to ringfence all donations for this project and use title ‘Station Enhancement’.
- FGW Station Adoption form completed . This will allow the PC/’Helpers’ to work on designated areas of the station.
- Teresa Ceesay (station manager) has indicated that completion of the form will also help us access funds from FGW.
- Teresa Ceesay also suggested that the Cotswold Line Promotion Group (CPLG) be approached as it sometimes helps to fund station enhancement projects. Chairman and Publicity Secretary contacted and e-mail request sent outlining plans. CLPG informed that many in the community are keen to soften the appearance of the station, that the Helpers will be ready to do much of the work and that the village had already raised money for plants from the Gardens Open weekend.
- Ascott has not had a representative on the CLPG for a while. Ken Baker has agreed to do this job and all parties are now in touch.
- BANK BETWEEN DISABLED RAMP AND CAR PARK – The NR money is earmarked for a bank retaining wall and soil improvement, including topsoil. Quotations received and one of the Helpers, Kevin Cambray, is on standby to build the wall.
- Lorraine Knight’s son, Stewart, has offered to make a planting plan for the bank. We have also had suggestions from Hilltop nurseries. Both ask for no payment. The Gardens Open funds will buy the plants.
- TROUGHS TO SOFTEN THE BRICK WALLS – David Northey from NR is trying to source old railway sleepers to be used to build troughs. Soil will come from the NR donation.
- OLD GWR BENCHES – David Northey has arranged for two more benches to be given to Ascott station (like the one on Platform 1). They will be sited 1) on Platform 2 and 2) in front of the ramp walls between two troughs, all to the right of the NR notice board.
- RAILINGS – NR and FGW are hesitant about introducing Cotswold Green as it introduces a 3rd colour. They suggested all white. Teresa Ceesay agreed to supply workmen to paint if donations can be found to buy the paint. Discussion ongoing.
- CONTROL BOX – Re-painting still to be agreed.
- LIGHTS – David Northey has now arranged for the lights around the platforms to be on a timer which turns them on 1 hour before a train is due to stop at Ascott and off one hour after. This should be carried out imminently. The tall light illuminating the level crossing may eventually have shutters fixed but not in the immediate future. Philippa to monitor.
- RUBBISH ON THE EMBANKMENT – This is planned to be collected at the completion of the NR station project – date unknown. Philippa to request collection at latest by Easter.
- BANK ACROSS THE SHIPTON ROAD FROM SIGNAL BOX – David Northey (NR) requested to chivvy the required Risk Assessment and amended legal plan so that Helpers can work in that space. NR asked again to help with initial strimming.
9. HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD Cont’d:
Cllr Carter reported that the next scheduled meeting is Monday 27th February, 1-4pm. Continuation of cutting back vegetation in centre of village. The Clerk was asked to write to David Northey to thank NR for the £2000 donation.
10. VILLAGE PLAN:
Nothing to report.
11. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD RECREATION GROUND:
Laurence Mellor has made contact with the landscape architect who designed the Shipton-u-W playground. He offered some general information and ideas which were helpful.
- To ask several providers to produce a free plan (taking account of requests in the questionnaire) and ballpark costings. LM to contact, LM/RM/PMC to meet.
- The Clerk was asked to clarify rules on fundraising where Parish Councillors are involved.
- Decide on the format of a committee and its connection with the PC.
- PMC to contact residents who have indicated interest in helping with project.
- Call a meeting of all interested in joining committee (before Easter?).
- Continue doing market research, notably with Windrush Valley School, Pre-School and Toddler Group.
- Plan interactive consultation at Jubilee Lunch on Sports Ground on June 3rd.
12. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SPORTS CLUB:
Cllr Carter reported that things were ticking along and asked it to be noted that she is the main contact for bookings, in particular when an article is put in the Grapevine.
13. COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN:
It was reported that the gritter had now been delivered and that the Funding Contract for the Big Society had been duly signed and returned by Cllr Morgan and the Clerk. Cllr Carter asked the Clerk to minute the PC’s thanks and gratitude to Cllr Mellor for his efforts on the winter resilience and especially for the Big Society fund.
The Clerk reported that letters requesting the annual rent would be sent to tenants, enclosing new rules & regulations and their tenancy agreement.
15. VILLAGE WALKABOUT:
Cllr Morgan reported that due to the adverse weather conditions the Walkabout did not happen and so is re-scheduled for Saturday 10 March 2012. The PC will meet at 10am on the Village Green. Cllr Morgan agreed to speak with CCllr Rodney Rose to clarify the terms of the Area Steward Fund.
16. MATTERS ARISING:
- OCC Reference No. PEM390333 (to be carried out this calendar year)
- The installation of two new Salt Bins; Church View (on the verge adjacent to the Pound) and on Shipton Road (on the bends to the west verge clear of the BT box and pumping station) has now been completed.
- Replacement of the Salt Bin in the Tiddy Hall car park (free of charge) Cllr Morgan agreed to contact Paul Wilson at OCC Ongoing
Cllr Crundwell reported the following weekly increases compared to this time last year; £200, £250, £400 and £600. She reported that turnover was up by 8%, that the shop currently had £21k on deposit. Cllr Crundwell reported that the Ascott Village Shop has been shortlisted in “The Best Rural Business” award category.
Parking Church Close:
(Incident Number URN8951 21/5/2011)
Cllr Morgan delivered a letter and copies of past correspondence to Christine and James Wilson and had spoken with Christine. Christine had also contacted the Clerk, who then gave a further update of the continuing inconsiderate parking. Christine agreed to speak with her tenants and their neighbours accordingly.
16. MATTERS ARISING cont’d:
Natural History Project:
- Cllr Morgan reported that Cornbury had agreed to bird boxes being erected at the end of High Street on the barn complex and agreed to speak with Mike Pearce to request the money being held for this project. Ongoing
Diamond Jubilee Lunch 2012:
- Cllr Morgan reported that a quotation for £150 had been received to clean the plaque on the entrance to the Recreation Field and proposed that the PC accept this. Cllr Crundwell seconded this and Cllr Morgan agreed to organise the works to be carried out.
Kerbstones Shipton Road:
- Cllr Morgan reported that the damaged kerbstones have been marked up for repair.
- Planning Booklet Campaign to Protect Rural England (NALC)
- Letter Local Government Boundary Commission – Electoral Review
- The Wychwoods Day Centrre – letter thanking the PC for the Christmas donation
- Letter from Banbury Memorials quoting to clean the Plaque at the Recreation Ground (refer to Queen’s Diamond Jubilee above)
- Letter from Thames Valley Primary Care Agency
- The Newsletter of the Allotments Regeneration Initiative
- The Playing Field from OPFA Winter 2011/12
18. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- The Clerk confirmed that the two April meetings will be Monday 2 April for the ordinary meeting and Monday 16 April (after the Easter break) for the Annual Village Meeting.
- Cllr Morgan reported that he had received an email from Tim Lyon explaining that Caterham Formula One Team were due to move into the old TWR site and expressed concern about the traffic through the Village. After discussion it was felt that at this point there was nothing the PC could do, but monitor the situation. Cllr Morgan agreed to reply to Tim.
There being no further business Cllr Morgan declared the meeting closed at 9.30pm and confirmed the next meeting would be Monday 12 March.