Parish Councillors Present:
Oxfordshire County Council:
Rodney Rose, County Councillor
Members of the Public:
Before the meeting commenced, as per the Agenda, the Parish Council addressed the co-option of Nick Leadbetter and Peter Greening as members of the Parish Council. Bridgette Crundwell proposed Nick Leadbetter, this was seconded by Stuart Fox. Elaine Byles proposed Peter Greening, this was seconded by Bridgette Crundwell. The relevant paperwork was signed and given back to the Clerk for processing with WODC.
Received from District Councillor, Hilary Hibbert-Biles, who was attending and presenting the Districts’ Sports & Arts Awards.
There were several amendments, these being under Cornbury Estate – ripearian should read riparian. Under District Councillors’ report – again ripearian should read riparian and the correct spelling of responsibilities and scrutinised. There is also one change under Any Other Business – the Chestnut Tree should read it was due its annual check. The minutes were then signed, dated and filed.
3 MATTERS ARISING:
OCC Highways – Clerk reported that Highways were going to be in Ascott on Wednesday 12th March to carry out a trial of a process which reuses the existing road surface when repairing defective areas. With regards to defects in other locations – these will be resolved by Highways using their normal resources. Clerk also reported that Highways were looking into replacing the large posts, which have been erected down the reinstated verge with the smaller ones and the possibility of placing these smaller posts down the one side of the Green also. Nick Leadbetter asked if sandbags could be put on the top edge of the verge and then grass seed on the top so that a curb/edge would be formed and thus help establish the verge whilst protecting it. Clerk to ask Highways. Clerk also asked to write to Chris Badger at Crown Farm, now that the reinstatement of the verge was in place asking if he could ensure that all farm traffic entering from the South could be directed via New Road.
Pavilion/Sports Club – Ongoing.
Village Shop – Ongoing.
Parish Conservation Plan – Stuart Fox reported that the stones had arrived and that he would now organise for the builders to bed the stones using limecrete into their original barrow positions. Clerk to chase electricity company again re. the re-siting of the electricity pole in the Pound.
5 Shilling Quarries – Stuart Fox had met with Keith Dalton on site to assess the health & safety issues and responsibilities of the Parish Council. Keith Dalton advised against putting up any signs, he did suggest a small area of fencing – the post & rail type, the possiblity of a nature reserve however if the land were contaminated this could prove expensive. Clerk to write to Nick Gibbs at NTG Fencing at Fulbrook and ask for a quote to erect a post & barbed wire fence.
2a Shipton Road – Ongoing clerk to speak with District Councillor on the progress of this.
Cornbury Estate – Ongoing.
Risk Assessment – Stuart Fox reported that this was now partly complete – areas that had been assessed were the Pound, the Green and 5 Shilling Quarries. The only area left was the Playing Field.
Action Stuart Fox
Flooding – It was reported that ARC had organised with the help of volunteers, the clearing of Gypsy Lane. Their next project was going to be Lower Green. The issue of “depth gauging” came up again, but the majority thought it was best to wait for the WODC Report and hopefully the Environment Agency Report. Once these reports had been received Ascott PC will meet with Shipton PC and discuss possible ways forward. Shipton PC had asked for all contact details of Ascott’s councillors – Clerk to arrange for these to be sent to Alice Burns. Moreton-in-Marsh Town Council have also requested the PC’s details. Clerk to let them have these also with a request that they let Ascott-under-Wychwood know of any flood warnings asap.
Nick Leadbetter was asked, with his specialist knowledge in logistics, to think about and write a short “thinkpiece” for councillors, to stimulate the development of a contingency plan for handling future emergencies. Stuart Fox reported that he would advise ARC that the PC is addressing the early warning system.
Action Clerk/Nick Leadbetter/Stuart Fox
Bus Service / Transport – a letter had been received from ORCC, to which Stuart Fox had replied confirming Ascott PC would like to take part. Peter Greening took this role on.
Action Peter Greening
- Letter received from WODC – Notice of Council Tax 2008/09 enclosing notice to be displayed – this has been done.
- Letter from OCC – Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice – Level Crossing will be closed from 22.00hrs Monday 24th March to 06.00 hours Tuesday 25th March.
- Letter received from Citizens Advice Bureau, enclosing a poster to be displayed on notice board – Clerk has done
- Letter from Cottsway – Modern Retirement Living in the Wychwoods
- Letter from WODC re. Spring/Autumn 2008 RoSPA Play Inspection
- Letter from WODC re Commercial Waste Collection.
07/1924/P/FP ERECTION OF DETACHED DWELLING at LAND ADJACENT TO 14 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/2178/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY LINK EXTENSION, RE-ROOFING OF OUTBUILDING at HILL COTTAGE, 48 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/2237/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO GARDEN ROOM at 35 HIGH STRET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
08/0132/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION & CONVERSION OF GARAGE TO OFFICE at 47 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
08/0149/P/FP REMOVAL OF EXISTING CHIMNEY STACK (Retrospective) at WINDRUSH VALLEY SCHOOL, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
08/0169/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE EXTENSION & PORCH at 18 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
08/0261/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at VICARAGE COTTAGE, 20 LONDON LAND, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
Allotment Rents £40.00
Payments Out £
Ascott Grapevine £300.00 Cheque No. 100629*
Millfield Groundwork £505.25 Cheque No. 100630 (funded by the National Lottery)
* This has been formerly noted as S.137 expenditure, but has now been confirmed that it is not.
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT:
Rodney Rose reported on the letter that had been received from Cottsway addressing Modern Retirement Living in the Wychwoods. He reported that there was a meeting scheduled for Saturday 15th March and strongly urged that councillors attend.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT:
Apologies received, no report.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Nigel Braithwaite asked if the Parish Council had had a chance to consider the PCC’s request to hold a Plant Sale on the Village Green?
A: Stuart Fox answered that he had not received the request, but did ask the Parish Council, who all confirmed this would be fine.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
Elaine Byles asked about the possibility of a sign to the Sports Field being erected. Clerk to investigate.
Peter Greening reported that when the sports field was being used by footballers, bad language could be heard quite clearly which was proving to be unpleasant. Clerk to speak with Roger Shepherd. Peter Greening reported that his daughter attends the Windrush School and confirmed to the meeting that the school was proactively pushing parents to park responsibly.
Nick Leadbetter asked if a copy of the Electoral Roll could be sent to each councillor. Clerk to investigate.
Stuart Fox reported that he had received an email from Mark Abrey with regards to the Parish Council funding the cost of the gravel when the Church commences this project. Stuart also reported that the “Litter Pick”, held on Saturday 8th March had been very successful.
There being no further questions Stuart Fox closed the meeting at 9.55pm and confirmed that the April meeting would be held on Monday 14th April, whilst the Annual General Meeting would be held on Monday 21st April at 8.00pm in the Tiddy Hall.