Councillors Present were:
Mr David Wilkinson
Mr Stuart Fox
Mrs Elaine Byles
Mrs Bridgette Crundwell
Parish Clerk: Mrs Angela Barnes
Members of the Public: Siobhan Tustain
Richard Lait – The Swan Public House
PC Colin James
PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer
Apologies were received from Rodney Rose, County Councillor and Councillor Ms Sally Franks.
There are three changes to the June minutes two under Matters Arising and one under 6 Finance Report, as follows:
· OCC Highways, where it reads the Railway & Culvert the responsibility of the landowner, this should read “this is the responsibility of the ripearian owner”
· Parish Conservation Plan, after discussion it was agreed that where the “stones” are referred to this should read the Ascott Barrow
· Finance Report – where it states the audit is now complete, this should read the internal audit.
After these changes were noted, the Minutes of the June meeting were agreed, signed, dated and filed.
3 MATTERS ARISING:
Cottsway/Affordable Housing – After discussion it was agreed that this matter should be removed from the Agenda and noted that a resolution could hopefully be sought when any new build takes place in Ascott affordable housing would be accommodated.
OCC Highways – Clerk reported the manhole cover on the Green had now been replaced, but nothing further to report. Clerk to chase Paul Wilson on the outstanding issues.
· Reinstatement of the grass verge around the Green; it was reported that there was no reason why this could not be reinstated and Paul Wilson confirmed he would look into the costings etc. etc. and report back to the Parish Council.
· Manhole Cover on the Green – Now actioned.
· Highways Sign on the Green; it was reported that this would be replaced
· Highways Sign on the bottom of Chipping Norton Hill – Paul Wilson confirmed that he would arrange for this sign to be made secure.
· Road Surface on Chipping Norton Hill – it was confirmed that a Job No. had been allocated and so works for this should be carried out soon
· High Street (last eighth of High Street); Paul Wilson reported that he felt this was an issue for WODC and supplied the Councillors with contact details for the Clerk to write to – David to supply Clerk with information.
· Railway & Culvert; Clerk had now received a response from Belinda Young, acting on behalf of Savills for Cornbury confirming that she would appoint contractors to look at this issue. (Please also see reference under Hedgerow Chipping Norton Hill.
Pavilion/Sports Club – Roger Shepherd reported that the date for the AGM had now been moved to Monday 25th July.
Village Shop – Stuart Fox reported that Alan Chubb was the new Chairman, Lorraine Knight the Vice Chairman, Stuart remained as the Treasurer, Nigel Wild was now looking after marketing and Rosemary Dawbarn was the Secretary.
Parish Conservation Plan – Stuart Fox reported that he had visited the Museum which had proved both successful and very fruitful. He was still encountering problems with the sizes of the Ascott Barrow and confirmed that in total there were 17 individual stones. Stuart then showed the parish council a photograph of how the original barrow had looked. Stuart’s main concern was the method of moving the Barrow to the Pound and the further funding needed – Hilary Hibbert-Biles suggested she look into heritage/leisure tourism to see if there is any funding available.
Stuart reported that progress on the dry stone walling was very slow and felt that the project would not be ready for September. Further scheduled works would need to be done on the Pound, despite the wall not being finished in order not to lose the funding; these include the gate, notice board and bench etc.
The clerk reported that she was still waiting for the original licence from Southern Electric in order to start the process of getting the electricity pole moved – clerk to chase further.
Schemes to accommodate the Freedom of Information Act – Ongoing
5 Shilling Quarry – David Wilkinson reported that the second valuation had been received, however there was still some doubt as to who owns the corner of land that was originally valued by Humberts (5 Shilling Corner). After discussion it was decided to carry this matter forward and to publicise the possible sale of this piece of land to the Village. This would be by way of a flyer, notice or letter. Dave to organise this and Clerk to book the Tiddy Hall, as opposed to the Tiddy Hall room for the October parish council meeting to include a Village consultation
2a Shipton Road – Ongoing.
Crown Farm; The Village Green Parking – See OCC Highways
RoSPA – Clerk confirmed that all works had been carried out by Lapsett that were noted in the RoSPA Report.
14 High Street – Ongoing
Hedgerow Chipping Norton Hill – Clerk had now received a letter from Belinda Young at Savills, who agreed with all the points noted below and confirmed she would appoint the relevant contractors to carry these works out. One request was that when new trees were planted Savills have a say where they are planted – Dave Wilkinson suggested we write back and accept the proposals and for the Clerk to give his contact details so that he can meet Belinda Young on site to discuss.
· Oxfordshire County Council Highways had advised that the flooding on Chipping Norton Hill was due to a blocked culvert.
· It was reported that there is a tree on this land which is falling over on to the road – very dangerous.
· The field which runs behind High Street – the hedgerow is extremely overgrown and virtually impossible to pass.
Thames Valley Policy – PCSO’s – Dave Wilkinson introduced the Parish Council and other public members to PC Colin James and PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer, who then in turn introduced themselves. PC Colin James explained how there had been many changes, especially in the last 6 to 8 months. He confirmed that this area was very short staffed with 6 officers on response with shifts varying from 8am to 5pm or 2pm to midnight and out of hours response being handled from Witney. PC Colin James then went on to explain the PCSO’s roles – these being that they did not have the power to arrest and do not deal with confrontational matters. The PCSO’s role was to make a presence within villages, to gain information and confidence from public members. Currently there is 1 PCSO allocated to Shipton-under-Wychwood, Milton-under-Wychwood and Ascott-under-Wychwood, 1 allocated to the Bartons, 1 allocated to Charlbury and 1 to Chipping Norton.
There was then the opportunity for questions:
Q: Hilary Hibbert-Biles asked PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer what her specific duties were once she arrived into the Village?
A: PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer explained that she would walk through the Village meeting people, talking to people and try to deal with any issues they may have.
Q: Siobhan Tustain asked PC Colin James about telephoning the 0845 number and how this would fit in with the PCSO’s role/duties?
A: PC Colin James answered that PCSO’s could not deal with confrontational circumstances nor did they have the power to arrest, however they could help deal with ongoing issues to resolve them. Should you need to phone the 0845 number a message can be left for your relevant PCSO.
Swan Public House: Richard Lait, the new owner of the Swan introduced himself and gave a brief outline of his background and his intentions for the Swan. Richard Lait reported that he came from Coln St Aldwyn, near Bibury where he had been part of a team who had saved the local pub and re-furbished it to a high standard. He confirmed that the changes to the Swan should be minimal and that he was keen to keep it as a traditional pub and emphasised the importance of this including it being a meeting place, a place where food is served and to be a traditional Inn offering accommodation. He welcomed everybody from the Village to call in at any time whilst the works were being carried out to have a look and ask any questions. There were some concerns aired by the public:
· Sara Arkle expressed her concerns about the shared access to her property and that of two others behind the Swan
· Car parking at peak times
Richard Lait expressed his concerns too for the shared access, but confirmed that he equally did not wish for the access to be blocked at any time and would accommodate this as much as he possibly could. With regards to car parking he reported that he was looking into marking out spaces in the current car park to maximise the use.
Lynn and Tony Collins, Roger Shepherd, Sara Arkle and on behalf of the Parish Council David Wilkinson wished Richard every success for the future.
Post Office: Nothing further to report on this – David Wilkinson to contact John Naish again.
· Letter received from the Oxfordshire Area for the Blind (OAB) requesting a donation.
· Letter received from Keith Butler, WODC enclosing the revised Code of Conduct for safekeeping.
· Letter & Questionnaire recived from OCC with regards to the provision of caravan sites for gypsies and travellers.
· Two letters received, one from Sara Arkle and one from Mr R. Burleigh with regards to the plans for the Swan Public House.
07/0098/P/S73 NON-COMPLIANCE OF CONDITION to PLANNING APPLICATION 04/2165/P/FP – REQUESTING OCCASIONAL USE OF VILLAGE ACCESS FOR HORSE BOXES, LORRIES AND HORSE TRAILERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE EQUESTRIAN USE OF LAND at CROWN FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/0223/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM FARM WORKSHOP TO METAL ART STUDIO (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/0614/P/FP ALTERATIONS TO INCLUDE NEW PITCHED ROOF OVER GARAGE, INCREASED ROOF PITCH OVER DWELLING AND CONVERSION OF LOFT. INSERTION OF DORMER WINDOWS at BAY TREE COTTAGE, THE GREEN, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
Re-submitted – see below Granted
07/0876/P/LB RE-ROOFING OF BARN WITH ARTIFICIAL STONE SLATES TO WEST SLOPE AND STONESFIELD SLATES TO EAST SLOPE at MANOR FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/0930/P/FP ALTERATIONS TO INCLUDE NEW PITCHED ROOF OVER GARAGE, INCREASED ROOF PITCH OVER DWELLING AND CONVERSION OF LOFT. INSERTION OF DORMER WINDOWS at BAY TRE COTTAGE, THE GREEN, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/0969/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE AND TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS WITH NEW THREE BAY GARAGE (to allow the garage wing to be raised to form accommodation in the attic and relocate the porch) at 1 PRIORY LANE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/1015/P/FP SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION at CENTURIES HOUSE, 17 LONDON LANE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/1004/P/FP REMOVAL OF CHIMNEY STACK at THE GRANGE, 12 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/1046/P/FP CONVERSION OF OUTBUILDINGS TO BEDROOMS AND OFFICE at THE SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE, SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
Internal Audit: Stuart Fox reported that this was now complete and that the paperwork had been sent for the external audit. There were a number of minor points in the recording of the minutes – please note below:
· Bank interest payments are not recorded in the minutes as payments received
· No receipt voucher for lottery grant of £3665.00
· Payment of £98.89 to A. Barnes on 10 July 2006 – payment voucher 6 has cheque number 100564 should be 100563
· Payment of £459.00 to A. Barnes on 10 July 2006 entered in cash book as cheque number 100563 should be 100564
· Insurance payment of £1417.02 on 17 May 2006 cheque number 100559 not recorded in minutes
· Payment to Wychwood Project of £50 on 10 October 2006 cheque number 100578 not recorded in minutes under payments in Financial Report
· Payment to Citizens Advice Bureau of £50 on 10 October 2006 cheque number 100579 not recordd in minutes under payments in Financial Report
· VAT refund of £131.10 banked on 5 May 2006 not recorded in minutes
· Sports Pavilion rent of £5 banked on 21 August not recorded in minutes
Query: Where is £113.50 payment to Tiddy Hall under others column in cash book included in income and expenditure.
Humberts (re-valuation) Cheque No. 100604 £58.75
Derek MacNamara payment on account Cheque No. 100605 £1200.00
Clerks Quarterly Salary Cheque No. 100606 £459.00
Inland Revenue Cheque No. 100607 £129.45
Clerks Quarterly Expenses Cheque No. 100608 £118.14
WODC RoSPA Inspection Cheque No. 100609 £51.70
7. COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
No Report, apologies received
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
Hilary Hibbert-Biles reported there had been a change in cabinet at WODC. Hilary is also responsible for Health, Leisure & Tourism, Support People, Sheltered Accommodation, Young Peoples Champion and Old Peoples Champion.
Hilary reported that a survey had been carried out on the services offered by WODC i.e. health care, crime etc and its findings were that the public’s highest concern is crime.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Siobhan Tustain asked if anybody had read the article in the Oxford Mail with reference to the possiblity of the railtrack through Ascott becoming a double track?
A: Nobody had seen or heard about this – the article was then read out, which stated that Network Rail were spending £150k on a study to see if this would be viable. Chairman asked Siobhan if he could take the article away.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Elaine Byles asked, in the absence of Councillor Sally Franks, if something could be done about the footpaths over the riverbridge as these were very overgrown. Clerk to look into this and arrange for them to be cut back.
Chairman closed the meeting at 10.40pm and confirmed the next meeting would be Monday 10th September 2007, reminding all that there was no meeting in August.