Councillors Present were:
Mr David Wilkinson
Mr Stuart Fox
Mrs Elaine Byles
Mrs Bridgette Crundwell
Ms Sally Franks
Members of the Public:
Miss S Tustian
Mr F Russell
Parish Clerk: Mrs A Barnes
Received from County Councillor Mr Rodney Rose.
There were some amendments to the November Minutes, as follows:
· Under Matters Arising under Cotswold Conservation Plan and O.C.C. Learning and Culture Bronze Barrow at the end of the first paragraph it reads “A further meeting was due to be held at the end of November. This should read “A further meeting was due to be held at the end of November by the Cotswold Conservation Board”.
· Under Matters Arising under Village Shop it reads “The Mortgage will then be £21,000”. This should read “The Mortgage will then be £19,000”.
· Under Matters Arising under NALC (National Association of Local Councils) it reads “After discussion and some minor alterations it was agreed the NALC be adopted”. This should read “After discussion and some minor alterations it was agreed that the Parish Council adopt the financial regulations suggested by NALC”.
After these amendments were noted, the November Minutes were then signed, dated and filed.
3. MATTERS ARISING:
Cottsway / Affordable Housing: Ongoing
· Road Surface Chipping Norton hill – Clerk had written to Highways with regards to the road surface on the Chipping Norton hill. This job had been allocated to Paul Watts and when Highways were next in the area they would assess this.
· Manhole on corner of the Green – it had been reported to the Clerk, yet again, that this had now been made loose again. Clerk has reported this to Highways for immediate repair.
Railway & Culvert: The Chairman advised that an E-mail had been received from John Clark noting that Railtrack were keen to join the Village in continuing works on the Railway. After discussion, the Chairman was going to look into this further.
Pavilion/Sports Club: Stuart Fox reported that the Parish Council would only be able to re-claim VAT on money that was actually paid. Roger Shepherd had advised that he would pursue the grant application himself.
Village Shop: Bridgette Crundwell reported that the shop now had vacancies for 2 part-time assistants.
Cotswold Conservation Plan and O.C.C. Learning and Culture Bronze Barrow & Stones: Stuart Fox reported that the meeting planned by the Cotswold Conservation Board for November did not in fact take place and was due to be held on 13th December. This matter was discussed by all Councilors and it was felt that due to a decision on the grant funding taking far longer than had been anticipated, it was decided to put this to one side and Stuart Fox would look to approach “Awards for All” for funding to include the Pound wall.
The pole in the middle of the Pound had now been confirmed as an electricity pole. Clerk had contacted Scottish & Southern Power at Yarnton. A job number had been allocated – clerk to chase again.
It was also reported that O.C.C. Museum had advised that their funding had now been depleted, however a funding gap could be offered via “Awards for All”. After discussion, doubt was felt especially if the full grant were to be received the Parish Council would not be able to pass this on as there would be a Section 137 issue. Ongoing
5 Shilling Corner: A letter had been received from Nigel advising that he would be contacting the Oxford Badger Group in December. The Parish Council discussed the issue of whether a “health & safety” sign should be erected? It was agreed that this should be included within the Risk Assessment.
Risk Assessment: Stuart Fox reported that the risk assessment had now been carried out and the following would need noting / addressing:
· Trees on the perimeter of the Playing Field – no problems
· Seesaw – the wooden rail containing the play bark appeared to be missing – Shane Barnes to be asked to quote for repair.
· The large Swings – there were some nails that needed to be knocked in.
· There are some “Rollers” by the Pavilion – clerk to ask the Sports Committee if these were still in use.
· A broken Manhole had been covered by a piece of wood that was very slippery – Clerk to enquire whose responsibility it is for the repair/maintenance of the Manhole.
· At the back side of the Pavilion steps had been built, but no handrail. Clerk to enquire what the situation on this was.
· The “Up&Over” door where the Mower is kept – Shane Barnes to check this is in good working order.
· A “Health & Safety” sign at 5 Shilling Corner.
· Sight Screens – these were in extremely poor condition. Clerk to enquire if these were still used and if not arrange for them to be dismantled and disposed of.
· The stone wall at the top of the Playing Field appeared to be crumbling and it was felt this could possibly fall down.
· Annual inspection of the Horse Chestnut tree on the Green. Clerk to write to Andrew Jackson and ask him to carry out the inspection.
Listed Buildings: After discussion, it was agreed to bring this matter forward 3 months. To be included under Matters Arising in March 2007.
Crown Farm: Clerk had written to Andrew Tucker with regards to the issues relating to this planning application, but no response had been received. Elaine Byles advised that all conditions relating to this planning application were on the WODC’s Planning website. Clerk to write to Andrew Tucker again asking about Condition 2 and 3, i.e. what should have been done by Tenant to stop vehicles using the Village entrance as opposed to the B4437 entrance – this being a safe and adequate access to comply with BE4 of the adopted West Oxfordshire Local Plan and BE3 of the emerging West Oxfordshire Local Plan 2011.
19 Church View: Clerk had written to Tony Clark, who had appointed Mr Mutchley – no further response. Clerk to chase.
2a Shipton Road: Clerk reported that a letter had been received advising that the hearing had been set to commence on 1st March.
Grass Cutting Tender: Stuart Fox reported that he had sent applications to tender for the Village grass cutting to 5 companies, but had only received one reply. Stuart would target another 4 companies.
Action Stuart Fox
Re-instatement of Grass Verge around the Green: After discussion, Clerk to write to Highways to confirm who owns the road/access around the Green and enquire if the Parish Council is in a position to do anything.
A letter had been received from Nick Gargan, Assistant Chief Constable of Thames Valley Police with regards to Parish Council PCSO briefings, noting his understanding that many Parish Councils were unable to fund Police Community Support.
06/0424/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM REDUNDANT BARN TO HAIRDRESSING SALON (Retrospective) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1905/P/FP ERECTION OF REPLACEMENT OUTBUILDING (RETROSPECTIVE PLANNING APPLICATION) at 35 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1941/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at 3 DAWLS CLOSE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT
£30.00 Section 137 Exp. OPFA (Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association)
£103.87 WODC Trade Waste Collection
Stuart Fox discussed the letter circulated from WODC with regards to setting the rates and the Precept. Stuart asked the question to Councilors were there any items that would need to be budgeted for?
· The Chairman expressed he would like funds reserved for a possible Village event to celebrate 1000 years of Oxfordshire and possibly to incorporate the re-opening of the Pound.
· A consultation involving the Village – perhaps to be held in the Tiddy Hall for parishioners to express their views on what issues they felt the Parish Council should or could be addressing.
Having carried out the Risk Assessment and noting certain items the Chairman proposed that the Precept be set at £9,600, Stuart Fox seconded this and the decision was carried unanimously.
7. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR
Apologies received, no report.
8. REPORT FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q: Miss Tustian reported that on the corner of Church View / Shipton Road there was a large excess of surplus water.
A: Clerk to contact Highways and organize a Gully Emptying.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Stuart Fox advised that the Parish Council needed an internal auditor. Chairman suggested the person who now does the Tiddy Hall accounts and is believed to be an ex bank manager.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 10pm and confirmed the next meeting was to be held on Monday 8th January at 8.00pm in the Tiddy Hall room.