Councillors Present were: Mr David Wilkinson, Mr Stuart Fox, Mrs Elaine Byles, Mrs Bridgette Crundwell
Ms Sally Franks
Members of the Public: Mr F Russell, Mr R Shepherd, Mrs M Smith, Mr K Smith, Mr Smith, Ms R Baxter, Mr T Craig
Parish Clerk: Mrs A Barnes
Received from Mr Rodney Rose, County Councillor.
The minutes from the June Parish Council meeting were agreed, signed, dated and numbered.
3. MATTERS ARISING:
Post Box: It was reported that there was no further progress on this matter and so was agreed that the Clerk write a letter noting the Parish Council’s strong disappointment at the lack of response.
Cottsway Housing/Chestnut Drive: Ongoing, see Affordable Housing.
Oxfordshire County Council Highway Issues: The Clerk reported that a response had been received from Geoff Barrell, who was in the process of finalising the Parish Council’s criteria to see if partial funding would be available towards electronic traffic calming signs. Ongoing
Roger Shepherd, the representative for NAG reported that monthly surveys were being carried out on the speeding issues around the Wychwoods and there was a leaflet in particular to the Ascott-under-Wychwood area. He confirmed the surveys were carried out over a 2 hour period, speeding motorists were then written to. The next NAG meeting is on Wednesday 19th July at Chipping Norton – Roger Shepherd will take the Parish Council’s thoughts and discuss, in particular the times that surveys are carried out. It was expressed that a traffic survey would be more appropriate at times around 8am to 9.30am and 5pm to 6.30pm, particularly London Lane.
The Chairman asked the councillors for their views on electronic traffic calming and the majority were not in favour. However all agreed that speeding was an ongoing problem that needed to be addressed. Clerk to write to Cotswold Conservation Board again and request any alternatives that may be available in rural areas.
The Clerk also reported that further to writing to Oxfordshire County Council Highways with regards to the cutting back of the hedgerows and brambles on the Chipping Norton hil and the river bridge – Paul Wilson had replied and advised that this issue would be attended to.
Pavilion/Sports Clubs: Stuart Fox reported that there was to be a “Fun Run” at the end of September to raise money for the Pavilion. Details will follow in the Grapevine.
Shop Report: The Village Shop had held its AGM and it was reported that the Shop is now promoting local produce which is part of a National scheme. The Shop continues to trade strongly.
Parish Conservation Plan: The application has been sent off. Ongoing
5 Shilling Corner: Ongoing
RoSPA: It was reported that there was remedial work to be done on the children’s playground. The Chairman had met with Shane Barnes to go through the works and for a quote to be given.
Oxfordshire County Council Learning & Culture: Further to a letter having been received from Mr Richard Halliwell with regards to 12 stones which comprise a Bronze Age stone barrow at Ascott, the Clerk had replied to Mr Halliwell requesting further details of the stones. There are 12 large stones, most are about the area of 4 to 6 paving slabs with varying thicknesses and are stored on pallets. Bridgette Crundwell expressed that the Council should visit the museum to view the stones and to decide where to put them in Ascott. Clerk to email contact details of Mr. Halliwell to Councillors for them to arrange a visit.
Action Clerk / Bridgette Crundwell
Application for a Premises Licence Music Festival 21 July 2006: Ongoing.
Cornbury Estate Field: Clerk had contacted the Estate Office at Cornbury and expressed the Council’s concern at the state of the field and the possibility that Ragwort may be present. The Estate Office confirmed that the field was due to be cut back, but their contractor had been ill. However it will be done and checked for Ragwort. Council reported that the field had now been cut and tidied.
The Swan Public House: It was reported that an application had been received from WODC Licencing requesting longer opening hours and for live music to be permitted inside and outside the Public House. It was unanimously agreed that the Clerk should write to WODC noting the Parish Council’s extreme objections to music being permitted outside the Public House at any time and time restrictions on live music inside the Public House. The Clerk to also express strong concerns over the proposed extended opening hours, the Parish Council wished it be noted that 11.30pm on Saturdays and Sundays is by far late enough.
Letter had been received from WODC regarding Yellow Pages recycling and a Wild Waste show. Clerk had put posters up on Notice Boards throughout the Village.
06/0424/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM REDUNDANT BARN TO HAIRDRESSING SALON (Retrospective) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/0791/P/FP INSTALLATION OF ROOF LIGHTS at WINDRUSH VALLEY SCHOOL ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
06/0776/P/FP INTERNAL & EXTERNAL ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE AND REAR EXTENSION at 4 HIGH STREET ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/0875/P/FP CONVERSION OF BARNS TO STORAGE/DISTRIBUTION USE. PROVISION OF PARKING & LOADING AREA at COLLEGE FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1060/P/PO ERECTION OF ONE DWELLING & ACCESS AT THE REAR OF 31 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1138/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION at 31 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1197/P/FP ERECTION OF DETACHED GARDEN ROOM/STORAGE at 35 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT
Clerk’s quarterly expenses £98.89
Clerk’s quarterly salary £459.00
Inland Revenue £129.45
Niall Burman (Tree work) £565.96
Stuart Fox reported that the Parish Council has a balance of £4775.
7. COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
No report – aplogies received.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Mr & Mrs Smith expressed their strong concerns over the licencing application for The Swan Public House to extend their opening hours and for music to be held inside and outside the Public House.
A: The Chairman noted their comments and advised them that the Parish Council would be writing to WODC accordingly – see matters arising.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Due to 2 new members of the Council, it was agreed that the Risk Assessment the Gambling Act 2005 be put under Matters Arising at the September meeting.
11. NEXT MEETING
The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.30pm, noting there is no meeting in August. The date of the next meeting is Monday 11th September, 2006 at 8pm in the Tiddy Hall.