The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor) and 4 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose, County Councillor
a) Notes of the meeting between the Parish Council and The Sports Club on 21st April 2005 were agreed.
b) There was one amendment to the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 11th April 2005: Risk Assessment: should read Five Shilling Corner not Common. The minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN
Mr N Braithwaite was re-elected as CHAIRMAN.
Proposed by: Mr M Pearce and Seconded by: Mrs W Pearse
Mrs E Byles stepped down as VICE CHAIRMAN
Mr S Fox was elected as VICE CHAIRMAN.
Proposed by: Mrs E Byles and Seconded by: Mr M Pearce
The elected Chairman then made the following declaration:
I ………………………………….having been elected to the Office of Chairman for Ascott under Wychwood Parish Council do hereby declare that I take the said office upon myself and will duly and faithfully fulfil the duties thereof according to the best of my ability.
Dated this 20th day of June 2005 and duly signed ……………………………………..
The Declaration was made and subscribed before me …………………………………
Clerk to the Council
4. MATTERS ARISING
Litter Pick-Up: This had taken place on 23rd April. Twelve volunteers had helped to collect litter around the village.
Risk Assessment: Tree work awaiting Niall Burman. Chairman to enquire if trees can be cut without permission. No development on Five Shilling Corner.
Kerbing and Paving: No progress.
Post Box: No Progress.
Railway Bank and Culvert: The District Councillor reported that John Clark, District Engineer and been trying to get hold of Network Work Rail to try and make progress. Mr Pearce made the point that we had asked him to make a joint approach to get all parties around the table to solve the problem once and for all. District Councillor said she would pass this on to John Clark.
A discussion ensued about the general state of the drains in the village. There had been flooding in Shipton Road outside number 34 where raw sewage had come up into the road. This was reported to the Environment Agency. The District Councillor said that she felt these incidents could not longer be treated individually but the whole drainage system in the village needs to be assessed. The last investigation done by Thames Water showed that the diameter of the pipes was too small. She will speak to John Clark about arranging a meeting with all agencies involved to discuss the issues again. She also pointed out that the situation has serious implications for future planning, especially at 2A Shipton Road, and the environment as the sewage effluent is going into the river which is illegal. It was suggested that the Parish Council should write to Environmental Agency, Environmental Health, Highways and Thames Water with copies to County and District councillors. Action: Clerk
Speed Signs on London Lane: Clerk to write to County Council.
Water from Crown Farm: Mrs Byles and Mrs Ismail declared an interest and left the room. Mrs Wendy Pearse took the minutes.
No water is coming out at present. It was suggested that close neighbours should be asked to keep a diary of when the water is flowing and whether or not it is coloured. Mr Fox will approach Mr Prewitt. It has been established that the flow of water in Heritage Lane is not connected to rainfall therefore other factors must be responsible which may be Crown Farm.
Crown Farm Planning: The Chairman had spoken to G Lowe who had received a letter from Crown Farm making proposals. These are being considered and G Lowe will be responding. The District Councillor asked G Lowe in the planning meeting about enforcement at Crown Farm and was told that they are still negotiating.
Mrs Byles and Mrs Ismail returned to the room and Mrs Ismail continued to take the minutes.
Water at the Top of Heritage Lane. David Winter has informed the council that the sewer at the top of Heritage Lane is overflowing. The land drains run into the sewer and the council have said this is illegal. Chairman will look at it tomorrow with Fred Russell. Action: Chairman
Footpath Sign: Clerk to chase OCC Countryside Services.
Memorial Plaque: Work still outstanding.
Water on Chipping Norton Hill: No progress, no water at present.
Overgrown Branches Nr. River Bridge: Mr Izod has not cut these back.
Insurance: Mr Fox had requested information from Cornhill and Zurich insurance in order to do a comparison. He will then try to combine all insurances into one policy. Insurance payment is due on 1st June.
Car Parking Nr The School: Clerk to write to County Council asking for lines to be repainted in the interests of safety. Action: Clerk
Church Fete: Clerk to write to PCC asking if they are planning to hold fete this year.
a) OCC had confirmed the grass cutting grant for 2005/6 at £844.44 which will be received this month.
b) The Tiddy Hall Committee have increased the charge for hiring the hall by 50p. The Committee Room will now be £9.50 and the main hall £15.
c) OCC have sent an invitation to a presentation evening on improving the Cotswold Railway Line on 19th May, 7.30 pm at City Hall.
d) RAF Brize Norton have sent an invitation to a briefing day for local communities on 16th June 10.00 am at the Gateway Hotel.
e) A letter had been received from the Cricket Club complaining about the state of the playing field. The Chairman felt that their request for spraying the weeds was difficult as it is a public area and would have health and safety implications. He also felt the issue of weed control was less important than the grass cutting. He had spoken to other villages and most provide a certain standard of grass cutting for no charge but if a higher standard is required then a charge is made. Chairman to reply.
This issue also relates to the future of the pavilion under Any Other Business
04/2165/P/: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Deferred
05/0242/P/FP: ALTERATIONS AND ERECTION OF TWO STOREY REAR AND SIDE EXTENSIONS. NEW GLAZED SINGLE STOREY LINK TO BARN at
47 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Granted
05/0298/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY REAR AND SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at 49 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
05/0696/P/FP: ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION at COTTAGE AT CENTURIES HOUSE, LONDON LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
05/0700/P/FP: ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at
1 WYCHWOOD COURT, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
05/0670/P/FP: ALTERATIONS TOGETHER WITH SINGLE, FIRST AND TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS INCLUDING INSERTION OF SIX DORMER WINDOWS at WILLOW BROOK, 51 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYWOOD. New
Comments on this application were invited from Mr Richard Smith and Mrs Bridgette Crundwell, immediate neighbours. Mr Smith felt that the changes in the new plan did not address the issues raised in the original plan. Neighbours would still be overlooked and the house would be much enlarged and not in keeping with other houses in the development. Historically there had been enforcement to stop the roof being higher. They were also worried about the parking issue as the proposed five bedroom house has only one allocated parking space and there is little space for parking more cars in the area. One of the new bedrooms can only be accessed from outside the property which is causing concern for future use of the property.
Mrs Crundwell confirmed that builders had been ordered off the site when the house was being built because the roof was too high. She also felt that the new plan made the privacy issue worse for her property than the original plan as the new dormer windows would overlook her garden. The Chairman said these comments would be taken into account in the Parish Council’s reply to the WODC Planning Department. The District Councillor asked for copies of letters of objection to be sent to her.
a) The Annual Return was approved and signed by Mr Fox, Responsible Financial Officer and The Chairman.
b) Statement of Accounts was approved and signed by the Chairman and the Clerk.
Clerk to provide minute book page number for reference. Action: Clerk
c) Mr Fox reminded the clerk that that any payments made under Section 137 should be recorded in the minutes in future. This was noted.
d) Mr Fox thought that the Revenue may be targeting parish clerks and suggested, as the clerk was an employee of the Parish Council, that it should register as an employer with the Inland Revenue and clerks salary be declared. It was agreed that this was not necessary and the clerk would carry on as self employed and be responsible for her own tax.
Mr Fox left to attend another meeting at 9 pm.
e) Payments In: £
WODC ½ Precept 3777.00
Sports Club Rent 5.00
VAT Repayment 175.00
Clerk ¼ yr Salary 436.80
Clerk Tel Expenses 7.50
Thames Water Utilities (Water Supply to Pavilion) 659.00
8. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT No report
9. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
Discussions had been ongoing about public participation on planning applications and other authorities had been visited to see how this worked. Mrs Biles hoped that decisions would not be too widely delegated to officers and that all sides in planning matters would have the opportunity to put their views. The debate on Chipping Norton Hospital and negotiations with doctors regarding funding is ongoing. The pilot scheme on waste collection was not successful mainly due to the operating company not working at weekends and the old system is to continue. A mobile skate park and climbing wall will be launched in June. The District is seeking to support more trains on the Cotswold line. The ambulance service in the Chipping Norton area is not working properly and she is fighting to stop the site from being sold off. Discussions are taking place regarding the opening a Stroke Unit at the at the Radcliffe hospital. It is hoped to provide treatment within 3 hrs. This would also relieve A & E. It has been agreed to provide a para- medic to cover out of hours at the minor injuries unit.
10. PUBLIC QUESTIONS There were no public questions.
11. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Future of the Pavilion: Following the meeting with the Sports Club on 21st April the Chairman had investigated how other villages operate their Sports Pavilion. It appears there is no set pattern but most do not charge for grass cutting. In several Parishes the same trustees ran the Village Hall and Pavilion together. Various ways on providing funds for the Sports Club to carry on running the Pavilion were discussed.
Roger Shepherd was invited to give his views. He agreed that weeding is not important as the sports field is for all users not just the cricket club. He would like to see the Parish Council stop charging for grass cutting and the money go towards the upkeep of the pavilion and would like to see it run by one body rather than organisations paying the Sports Club and the Parish Council. He reported that Wychwood Boys are keen to carry on. The finances of the Sports Club are very precarious and they will not be able to carry on unless things can be resolved at the coming AGM.
The main options for discussion were:
· Parish Council to take it over
· A larger committee to be formed to help with fund raising and other responsibilities
It was agreed that the Parish Council would transfer the £1500 annual donation, usually given to the shop, to the Sports Club but the £659 already paid for the water supply would be taken off this year. It was also agreed that the Parish Council charge of £300 from the Cricket Club would be passed on to the Sports Club.
Roger Shepherd thanked the Parish Council for the donation but raised the query that this it is still not clear which money will be used for the maintenance of the pavilion as the Parish Council sometimes pays other one off bills. Transferring the £300 from the Cricket Club also has implications for Wychwood Boys as both organisations are not being treated fairly. It was generally felt that it would be best if the Sports Club remained responsible with the help of the Parish Council donation and other fund raising. It was also agreed that at the Sports Club AGM on 9th June it would be suggested that each organisation using the pavilion would have a representative on the Committee and would help with fund raising. Mr Pearce offered to represent the Parish Council on the Sports Club Committee and this was gratefully accepted. The Chairman felt that the Parish Council had more than enough to cope with and could not take on the running of the Pavilion. The District Councillor suggested that Roger Shepherd contact Ben Thredgold at WODC to enquire if there any grants available.
b) Following the litter Blitz Mary Barnes had asked if anything could be done about the play area in Chestnut Drive as this had been particularly full of very unpleasant rubbish. After discussion it was generally agreed that this area is a problem and that the Parish Council should make enquiries to have it cleaned up properly and enquire about whether it could be built on. It was agreed to write to Bob Lightfoot at WODC regarding clearing the site and Andrew Tucker, Director of Housing about building. Action: Clerk
c) The pre-school had requested permission to build a shed to house their equipment adjoining the pavilion. This was agreed. Clerk to check if planning permission is required. Action: Clerk
12. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 10.02 pm. As the Clerk will be away it was agreed to postpone the next meeting