The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor). Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose, County Councillor
2. MINUTES There was an amendment to Item 10 in the minutes of the meeting held on 9th February 2004. These minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Sewerage: No progress to report
Vandalism: More incidents have been reported to the Clerk. Mr Wood at the school has been having problems with youths on the premises. He has been given an incident diary to fill in. Mr Wood has also complained that the children waiting for the school bus outside his house have been misbehaving and he has asked for the bus stop to be moved. This was felt to be an unreasonable request as the bus stop has been there for many years and would only move the problem elsewhere. The clerk had spoken to PC Badrick again and he has agreed to speak to the parents of the children whose names are known. P C Badrick stressed the importance of calling out a patrol car for each incident as these calls are logged at the control centre and this helps to build up the overall picture of incidents. It was agreed to contact Adey Cole, WODC Community Safety Officer to keep him informed of events. Action: Clerk
Risk Assessment: The Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association has brought to the attention of Parish Councils that it is now a legal requirement to carry out risk assessment on any land owned by them especially play and recreation areas. A briefing pack on the guidelines has been obtained and it suggests that the playing field and land owned by the Parish Council should be inspected as often as monthly with information recorded. It was agreed to contact OALC for guidance on the matter. Action: Clerk
Village Shop: Mr Fox reported that a new freezer and cooling cabinet had been purchased and a grant for the air conditioning had been applied for. Funding is adequate for future needs. Mrs Pearse had received a complaint about lorries having to mount the verge opposite the shop and slabs on the verge have been broken. Clerk to write to Sue Richards, shop manager. Action: Clerk
Litter Bin: The District Councillor had obtained two bins from WODC. It was agreed that the metal one would be put on the patch of grass at the end of High Street. District Councillor will ask for it to be delivered and concreted in. Mr Braithwaite offered to collect it if there was a problem. The second bin was not suitable for the shop and will be returned. The shop will purchase a bin that can be put outside in the summer. Clerk will negotiate the cost of emptying the bin with WODC.
Kerbing: Awaiting Highways
Footpath Opposite Green: OCC have agreed to clear the footpath
Street Sign at Yew Tree Farm: WODC have quoted £90-£100 for a sign. Sue Richards will ask the residents if there are prepared to share the cost. Clerk to ask if the cost could be waived since the houses have numbers on High Street.
Tourist Signs: WODC will not allow brown tourist signs to be used for directions to the shop. They have quoted £150-£200 to erect two signs at either end of the village. Clerk to ask if they can be added to existing signs.
Post Box: Clerk had contacted Royal Mail about having an additional post box and was told it was a planning matter. WODC planning do not think it needs planning permission. Clerk to make further enquires and to enquire if the existing post box can be replaced for one with a wider opening. Action: Clerk
a) A thank you letter had been received from the Wychwood Day Centre for the donation.
b) A letter had been received from the PCC to say that the Church Fete will be held on 3rd July on the Playing field.
c) ORCC had written with information about out the forthcoming OCC transport review. It was agreed that a review of the transport needs of the village would be useful and if this opportunity is not taken there may not be another chance for a long time. Clerk to contact ORCC for a ready made survey. Action: Clerk
d) Clerk had been asked by WODC legal services to remind councillors that as part of the Code of Conduct they must register any gifts or hospitality they have received and declare any membership of the Freemasons or any political party council associations.
e) The clerk receives a lot of information about Parish Plans and asked if there was any interest in producing a plan for Ascott. After discussion it was agreed that it was not relevant at this time.
03/1960/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL TO AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISTING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON-COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR PURPOSE OF THE LIVERY (PART RETROSPECTIVE). Outstanding
A decision on this application was deferred from the meeting of the Uplands Area Planning Sub-Committee held on 5th January 2004 and a formal site visit took place on 29th January prior to the Sub Committee meeting on 2nd February 2004.
Following the site visit and meeting of the sub committee this application has been deferred again to enable highways to comment on the access.
03/2206/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO SIDE ELEVATION at THE BRIARS, 2 MEADOW BANK CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
03/2363/P/FP ERECTION OF SECURE SHED AND LOG/COAL SHELTER (RETROSPECTIVE) at OLD STATION YARD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
After discussion it was agreed that there is no objection to the buildings if they will help to clear up the site. There is concern about the way planning is sought retrospectively, the unsightly state of the coal yard, poorly drawn plans and the building not being in keeping with the surroundings. Clerk to write to planning making these points. Action: Clerk
A letter in reply to the Parish Council objections was received from the planning department on 28th January 2004 saying that the applicant has been informed that the proposed block work will not be acceptable and that they will recommend to the Uplands Area Planning Sub-Committee that all buildings on the site will have to be rendered in a stone colour or have a stone facing.
04/0033/P/PF: CHANGE OF USE OF EXISITING STORAGE BARN TO RESIDENTIAL DWELLING WITH ASSOCIATED CAR PARKING AND LANDSCAPING at BETWEEN 2 & 4 CHURCH CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/0056/P/FP: DEMOLISH EXISITING WORKSHOP. ERECTION OF GARAGE FOR STORAGE OF VINTAGE VEHICLES. ERECTION OF GATES TO ALLOW ACCESS TO DRIVEWAY at 6 HERITAGE LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/0188/P/FP: ERECTION OF DETACHED DOUBLE GARAGE AND STORE WITH LIVING ACCOMMODATION OVER at 1 HERITAGE LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
04/0203/P/FP: ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO FRONT ELEVATION at THE BRIARS, 2 MEADOWBANK CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
04/0235/P/LB: ERECTION OF SATALLITE DISH TO EAST ELEVATION at 13 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
Payments: Donation to Wychwood Day Centre 50.00
Tiddy Hall Account 113.50
OALC Poster for Notice Boards 6.00
Clerk Training Course 11.75
Donation to Grapevine 250.00
Received: Allotment Rents 105.00
The astro turf commissioned by the Pre-school is not exempt from VAT under the rules relating to improvements to the village hall and is therefore not a Parish Council matter.
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
Mrs Hibbert-Biles reported that WODC have been capped by 5%. New recycling targets will be met which will mean the district will have to dip into reserves and there will be cuts in leisure services. The final proposal for Langston House has been for closure. There is to be a public meeting as a final step to save the home on 5th April at 7 pm at Beaconsfield Hall in Shipton. Mrs Hibbert-Biles asked if posters could be circulated in the village to advertise the meeting.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
There were no public questions
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) The Annual Meeting was arranged for Tuesday 13th April at 8.00 pm. Clerk to invite organisations to attend and book Tiddy Hall. Action: Clerk
b) It was agreed that the names of the Parish, County and District Councillors would be added to the end of each Parish Council report in the Grapevine so that people would know who the Councillors are.
c) Simon Gidman has arranged at litter collection on 20th March. It was agreed that the Parish Council should be involved.
d) The latest register of electors has the new houses on High Street listed as Cooks Row not Cook Row. Clerk to contact WODC. Action: Clerk
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.50 pm and the next meeting will be held on
Tuesday 6th April 2004. (1 week early due to Annual Meeting).