The following councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles, Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor). Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose, County Councillor
2. MINUTES The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd February 2003 were agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Kerbing around the Green: No progress.
Martyrs Bench: Confirmation had been received from Cornhill Insurance that they will provide public liability insurance for the bench provided the tree is inspected regularly and the outstanding work carried out. Clerk to confirm with Cornhill that the bench will be added to our existing policy. The work required in Andrew Jacksons report should be carried out in the winter months. Clerk to contact Andrew Jackson in the Autumn. Action: Clerk
Railtrack: No Progress
Vandalism: The damaged wall has been repaired and Mr Pearce and the Chairman will look at the ivy which may cause further damage.
Action: Chairman, Mr Pearce
Sewage: A report had been received from Thames water stating that a study into the causes and possible solutions to flooding in the village will be ready by Autumn 2003 and will cost £12,500 but depending on priorities the work may have to carry over to the 2005 to 2010 investment period. This was considered unacceptable as raw sewage has been emerging through the culverts at the north end of Shipton Road during times of heavy rain. Mrs Hibbert-Biles will arrange a meeting with Cath James at WODC Environmental Services
Grasscutting: Mr Pearce had explained to Shane Barnes that Daniel Cook would not be insured to use the mower.
Overgrown Hedge: No Progress. Clerk to write to Mr Izod again if the work has not been carried out by the next meeting. Action: Clerk
Conservation Area: Mrs Hibbert-Biles explained the procedure and some of the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a conservation area. As there are many other matters for the Parish Council to deal with at present it was agreed to put this matter into abeyance for the time being.
Roads and Drains Questionnaire: Mr Pearce had completed the questionnaire from OCC about roads and drains.
ROSPA Report: Mr Pearce had dealt with the items needing attention from the ROSPA Report on the play equipment.
Road Closure: The Clerk had contacted OCC about the works on Chipping Norton Road and was told that the road edges on the hill will need deep strengthening work but from the railway crossing to the river bridge will be patched due to lack of time and resources.
Crime and Disorder Act: Parish Clerk to contact Mr Oddy from WODC to speak to the Parish Council about their responsibilities under the Crime and Disorder Act Action: Clerk
Litter Collection: It was agreed to have a litter collection day on 22nd March. Clerk to advertise with posters on notice boards and contact WODC about providing rubbish bags. Action: Clerk
Cotswold Line: To celebrate 150 years of the Cotswold Line there will be a film evening in the Tiddy Hall on 21st March at 7.15 pm. Thames trains will stop in the village in time to attend the evening and again to collect passengers afterwards.
Gate: The Chairman had spoken to residents on London Lane about their gate extending onto the pavement. It will be necessary to monitor this situation.
BT Broadband: The Clerk had been unable to speak to the Milton Parish Clerk but had spoken to Shipton about getting people to register their interest on the web site and they are very enthusiastic. Clerk to put poster on notice boards.
Sewage Report: This matter has been dealt with under Matters Arising.
Council Tax: Notices of the new council tax rates have been received and displayed on the notice boards.
W2002/1455 DEMOLITION OF EXISITING DWELLING AND ERECTION OF SIX DWELLINGS AND CONSTRUCTION OF NEW VEHICULAR ACCESS TO GARAGE COURTYARD at 2A SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Appeal pending
W2002/1943 DEMOLITION OF BUNGALOW AND ERECTION OF FOURTEEN DWELLINGS AND NINE GARAGES at 18 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Refused
W2002/1100 (Amended) DEMOLITION OF REDUNDANT AGRICULTURAL BUILDINGS AND ERECTION OF TEN DWELLINGS AND ONE SHOP at CORNER HOUSE FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Passed
W2002/1772 DEMOLITIONOF REDUNDANT AGRICULTURAL BULDINGS AND ERECTION OF ELEVEN DWELLINGS, FORMATION OF VEHICULAR ACCESS AND ASSOCIATED CAR PARKING at CORNER FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Withdrawn
W2002/0714 CROWN FARM: WODC have been contacted about the unauthorised use of the Dutch Barn at Crown Farm. Mr Charlett, the Enforcement Officer has made a preliminary visit and accepts there are variations between the plans and the finished building and question marks over its use. These issues are now under investigation.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT
Paid Out: N Braithwaite – Photocopying for Shop Survey £39.25
N Braithwaite – Wine for Solicitors £136.57
The Regent Trust – Allotment Rent £100.00
Received: Allotment Rents £105.00
Mr Fox circulated and explained a Cash Report for the eleven months to 28th February 2003
Mr Fox explained the Parish Council may be limited in what it is allowed to give to the village shop project. He believes The Parish Council can only give £3.50 per head but it may be possible to arrange a loan. Mr Fox will enquire further. Action: S Fox
A query was raised regarding who donations should be payable to for the shop project. The Chairman explained that no donations should be accepted until the scheme has been registered with the Industrial Provident Society.
7. REPORT FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Mrs Hibbert-Biles reported that the district council element of the Council Tax has risen by 50%. There were various reasons for the rise but there was full support for the rise which equates to 60p per week and WODC is still the lowest in the country.
WODC are providing achievement awards for young people in the arts and sport and Mrs Hibbert-Biles asked if the councillors knew of any young people who would be deserving of these awards. Clerk to put posters on notice boards and include it in the next Grapevine report. Action: Clerk
In future planning applications will be required to have 50% affordable housing on any application with more than two houses and it is proposed that more applications will be dealt with under delegated powers.
The latest development on Langston House had been a meeting with The Order of
St John when the finances for extending the home were discussed but unfortunately nothing was resolved.
Mr Pearce and Mrs Hibbert-Biles will meet with Mr King from WODC to look at the ditches and culverts on Friday 21st March.
The Chairman thanked Mrs Hibbert-Biles for her support with the village shop. She wished the project well and looks forward to using the shop.
8. PUBLIC QUESTIONS There were no public questions
9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Rubbish Tipping: It had been brought to the Councils attention that rubbish is being dumped between the railway platform and Wychwood Court. Clerk to write to Tyack the company who own the land and operate the coal yard at the station. Action: Clerk
Church Gates: The stop on the latch on the new church gates is broken. Chairman to contact to F C Harriss & Sons to repair it. Action: Chairman
Buses: Mr Pearce had spoken to OCC about the daily X3 bus. They have apologised for removing the service and have promised to look into reinstating it. Mrs Hibbert-Biles said that she will apply to go on to the transport committee as there seems to be a number of problems in the Wychwoods concerning public transport. Mrs Byles asked if dogs were allowed onto the buses. Mrs Hibbert-Biles will ask the public transport officer.
Fixed Assets: The auditor had drawn to our attention the question of valuation of fixed assets. Mr Fox suggested that we adopt insurance valuations for approval in the final accounts.
Grapevine: A question was raised about who will take over the Grapevine when Anne Braithwaite retires. It was suggested that a committee might be formed to do it and that it should be approached the editorial of the next issue. Action: Chairman
Publication Scheme: The clerk reported that the Publication scheme was now on display on the notice boards and on the web site but a Risk Assessment of the Parish Councils property and assets still needs to be carried out and added to the scheme.
Parish Meeting: It was agreed that the Parish Meeting will be held on the second Monday in April. It was also agreed to ask John Cull to report for the Village Shop Management Committee at the meeting. Action: Clerk
Registration of Village Shop: £480 was approved to register the Ascott under Wychwood Village Shop Association with the Independent Provident Society.
10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 10.30 pm. The next meeting will be held on Friday 4th April 2003.